This is my 25th year of teaching, and every year gets more exciting. This year I hope to spark enthusiasm in my students through investigating phenomenon throughout the year. This year I am requesting all students to join my remind classroom. This in a way for me to remind students about upcoming assessments and projects. I will also send out question for students to answer to win house points. Students have the code to sign up. If you need the parent remind code to receive upcoming information for my class please let me know.
8th Grade Science: Review and Enrichment
Instruction" Click the link below to access resources for each of our 8th grade science standards. These are great tools to use to help study for upcoming CFA's and CFB's.
1. This is the link you need to use for remediation.
2. This is the link that includes the online study guides. (great to help you study)
3. For quizzes, use the "Online Quizzes" link below.
Instructions: Click the following link to view/download/print off a copy of the remediation forms
Plate Tectonic stations
Station 1 Shifting Plates
Name _______________ Period____________
Shifting Plate World Map:
- Cut out the continents of the world. Create a world map and glue the pieces on a sheet of computer paper.
- Draw red lines to show the boundaries of the world’s tectonic plates and name each plate. Use pg. 420 –421
- Lightly shade in each tectonic/lithospheric plate with a different color if possible.
- Draw arrows indicating the directions of plate movement at each boundary
- Identify the locations of the Mid Atlantic Ridge.
- Identify boundaries as divergent (--------), convergent (O), and transform (X)
- Map the locations of ten active volcanoes (with their names) around the world using orange triangles. Use pg. 435.
- Map the locations of ten historic earthquakes (with their locations around the world using blue circles.
- Make a key in the upper right-hand corner that shows red lines are tectonic plate boundaries, orange triangles are active volcanoes, and blue circles are historic earthquakes.
When completed, work on plate tectonic foldable.
Plate Tectonics Web Quest
Plate Tectonics Web Quest
Earth Floor: Plate Tectonics - Exploring the Environment
Full and clear information about Plate Tectonics: Convergent Boundaries, Divergent Boundaries, Transform Boundaries.
- Use the website to find the answers to the following questions. Write your answers on your own paper.
Answer the following questions:
- What is the Earth’s outermost layer? _______________________________________
- How many large plates are there and what are their names? ___________
List the names below:
- How fast do plates move? __________________________________________________
Click on Convergent Boundaries
- Look at the diagram of the convergent boundary. Copy and label the convergent boundary on your own paper:
- Explain what happens at a convergent boundary involving an oceanic plate and a continental plate. Discuss the features formed at each plate and the aftereffects of the colliding plates.
- Explain why it might be dangerous to live near a convergent boundary. ________________________
Identify two ways the danger of living near a convergent boundary can be lessened.
Click on Next
- Look at the diagram of the divergent boundary. Copy and label the divergent boundary on your own paper:
- Explain what happens at divergent boundaries. __________________________________________________________
- Identify two physical features associated with a divergent boundary?____________________________________________________________________________
- Name two land rift valleys found in the world. Also, identify their locations.____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Name two oceanic rifts (ridges) found in the world. Also, identify their locations.____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Click on Next
- Look at the diagram of the transform boundary. Copy and label the transform boundary on your own paper:
- Explain what happens at a transform boundary. __________________________________________________________
- What occurs with movement along transform boundaries?
- Why is it projected that Los Angeles and San Francisco will someday be cities next to each other? Explain.
Station 3 - Plate Tectonic Escape Game
Follow the directions of the escape Game.
When game is completed work on Plate Tectonic Foldable.
Station 4 - Pearson Realize
Log in to Pearson Realize through Clever on the school web site.
Work on the remediation assignments located in your assignment page.
When you finish, work on the plate tectonic foldable.