Oakland Middle School Attendance Policy
Absences shall be classified as either Excused or Unexcused as determined by the principal or his designee. We will use the Rutherford County Truancy Tier System.
- Out-of-school suspension days will be considered unexcused absences.
- After five unexcused absences, the student will enter Tier 1 of the county truancy plan.
Excused absences – Proper documentation needed. Students are allowed 8 Parent notes.
- Doctor or dentist appointments. (For Student)
- A death in the immediate family.
- Personal illness or immediate family illness
- Required court appearances.
- Religious observances.
- Administrators’ discretion.
Students are allowed 8 Parent notes per school year. After 8 parents notes have been used, further absences will be classified as unexcused.
- Truancy Car Trouble
- Out of School Suspension Family Vacation
Any student that misses 10% of the school year is considered Chronically Absent. Students that are chronically absent miss significant instruction and are at risk of falling behind academically. When a student must be absent it is important, they bring in documentation for the absence and complete their missing tests and assignments.
Tiered Attendance Policy
- Tier 1 – When a student has 5 unexcused absences, they will receive an Attendance Letter and will be started in the Tier System. It is important they turn in to the front office documentation to excuse their absences.
- Tier 2 – Students will complete an Attendance Contract outlining the attendance expectations for each student.
- Tier 2 - The school will meet with the parent and student to complete an Attendance Assessment. The assessments are used to identify any barriers to school attendance.
- Tier 3 – Completed by Attendance Officer. There will be a meeting held with Youth Services and may result in action being taken by the Rutherford County Juvenile Court.