Welcome to the 2018-19 Year of the OMS Code Busters!
This is our 2nd year of coding. We are so excited about getting started. We have had such so many students show an interest in coding that the students will be divided into two groups. Seventh Graders will meet the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month while sixth and eighth graders will meet on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month. All meetings will be before school in the library computer lab. We will meet from 7:15 - 7:55 each Tuesday.
1st Semester Meeting Dates
|7th Grade Meeting Dates`
||6th and 8th Grade Meeting Dates
|November 6 Meeting Canceled - No School, Election Day
||December 25 Canceled - No School, Winter Break
The Goals of the Oakland Middle School Coding Club
The Club Will:
- Attract interest in computer science from a broad and diverse range of students with a focus on the underrepresented population.
- Teach the fundamentals of programming and computational thinking.
- Instill confidence in working with technology.
- Foster creativity, curiosity, and collaboration along with instilling the courage to try new things.
- Teach how to program computing devices to make things of real-world interest and use.
- Grow perseverance when tackling difficult problems.
- Demonstrate the impact that coding has in careers and communities.
The student success criteria below is stated in broad terms. Comprehensive accounting of student learning objectives and success criteria will be outlined in club meeting agendas.
Students who successfully participate in the club will be able to:
- Define the term computer program.
- Use and implement common program control structures.
- Read code in the TouchDevelop environment and describe what it does.
- Create and publish games, animations, and interactive applications using the TouchDevelop Platform within the Office 365 Package.
- Use design thinking and logic to translate their ideas into working applications.
- Apply math and science concepts learned in school while programming.
- Develop problem solving and debugging skills to make things work.